Monday, May 25, 2015

An ode to the solo trip

This post is dedicated to my somewhat newfound love for the solo trip. I took my first solo trip last fall, when I spent a stag weekend in Seattle following a work trip in Washington. My boyfriend had initially planned to meet me there, but he ended up having to back out at the last minute. I found myself very tempted to cancel my Airbnb reservation, but at the last minute, I decided to go anyways. I am so, so very happy I did, because I now look back on that trip as one of my favorite weekends to date and, what opened me up to the joy of travelin' solo.

Despite the fact that I am, by nature, an extrovert (ENFP's represent), I have always weirdly loved being alone. I genuinely enjoy eating in a restaurant by myself or sitting at the bar alone, having a cold one, and chatting it up with the bartender. Looking back on it now, this is probably why I have always had an inexplicable obsession with hanging out in airports (...?). The solo trip, however, was something I had never even considered doing until my spontaneous hang in Seattle. I think there are a few reasons for this. One of which being my crazy Italian mother and her horrifying machinations of what could possibly happen to me. Another reason could be the stigma given to solo lady travelers, and the idea that it is somehow more dangerous for us out there. Strangely enough, the main thing that prevented me from traveling solo for so many years, however, was not the fear of being alone, but rather the fear of not knowing what kind of travel buddy I would be to myself. Many people say that traveling with your significant other is a good test to see just how compatible the two of you are. But what about with yourself? What if I was so boring that I wanted to break up with myself?

Inspired by my trip to Seattle, I decided to take the leap and book a solo trip for myself here in Argentina, to a beach town about five hours to the north of Bahía Blanca, called Mar del Plata. MDP is the main beach destination for Porteños (Buenos Aires locals), and during the summer, the population nearly triples! During the off-season, though, there is still plenty to do, as around 700,000 Marplatenses (MDP locals) call the city home year-round. After hearing that MDP is known as the Happy City (and also happens to be Argentina's craft beer capital), it seemed as though I had found the perfect location for my first Argentine solo trip. And I was right!

I would now like to share with you, based on my trip to MDP, some of my favorite things about traveling alone. I learned a few of these during my trip to Seattle, but after having done through the entire experience again in another language, I can now confirm that solo trips are, in fact, the shit. Enjoy!

1) Solo trips restore your faith in humanity.

We have been taught from a young age to not talk to strangers. The thing is, though, when you are in a foreign country and it's dark and you can't find the place where you're staying, and you are ALONE, you need to talk to strangers. And you know what? Most of them are pretty nice. A nice gent walked with me for a few blocks until I found the right building, and I lived to tell the tale!

2) Zero pressure.

Needless to say, it is just straight up relaxing to travel alone. There really is no pressure to have a full travel itinerary, or go out on the town every night, if you don't feel like it. My first night in MDP, I ordered delivery food, watched weird cartoons in Spanish, and read a book in bed. Does that sound lame to you? Cool. F you. Plan your own solo trip.

2) You get to make your own schedule.

If you do find yourself wanting a day filled with touristy activities and sight-seeing, everything can be done at your own pace, and you can see what YOU want to see. My first full day in Mar del Plata, I walked for literally six hours from the beautiful, tree-lined Güemes neighborhood where I was staying to the Puerto to see the famed sea lion colony. I am fairly certain that NO ONE would have wanted to walk with me for six hours, but I was able to do it, because it was my trip! MDP has an incredible walking path that goes for miles and miles along the coast, which was the perfect way to see the city. Along the way, I stopped to see a few of the sights, such as the Torreón del Monje and the colorful Banquina de Pescadores.

3) #treatyoself

One of my favorite parts about traveling alone is obviously food and libations. There is something so very satisfying about ordering a nice meal for yourself. It is also really fun when people look at you and think that you are fancy and mysterious. Here is the fancy and mysterious salmon and midday white wine I treated myself to at a restaurant right on the beach. TREAT YOSELF, PEOPLE!

4) It is a great conversation starter.

Because people think you are either weird or fancy and mysterious for eating and drinking alone, you will usually strike up a conversation with someone pretty quickly. Friday evening of my trip, I decided to venture to one of MDP's many cervecerías artesenales, or craft brew pubs. I sat at the bar, ordered myself a beer flight and nachos*, and within about an hour, I was chatting with my waiter, the group of older people beside me, and a few locals my own age in no time. People are generally very curious as to why you are traveling alone, and to be honest, you gain street cred pretty quickly.

*The nachos were just stale chips with nacho cheese dip, but I am not going to complain about finding nacho cheese dip in Argentina.

5) It makes you more comfortable in your own skin.

Do not get me wrong: entering an extremely crowded, lively environment by yourself is by no means a comfortable thing to do. The first few minutes can be pretty painful, and it becomes evident how very dependent we all are on our cell phones. Back home in the States, if you really sit and watch someone sit alone for more than 10 seconds in a café or on a train, almost everyone will whip out their phone in order to have some sort of contact with someone and not feel awkward. Luckily for me, data is super expensive here and I don't use it, so I had no choice but to sit there and hang out with myself like a big ol' creeper. And you know what? It wasn't so bad. It's fun to people watch, to pay close attention to everything you are hearing and seeing, and to recognize how you are feeling just hanging by your lonesome. Disconnecting from other people and your phone really does help you realize how comfortable (or uncomfortable) you are just being alone.

I should also note that it is pretty bizarre in general to be on your phone in public here. It's like people actually go out to talk to each other and eat a meal, or something. Look at all these attractive human beings staring each other in the face! So weird.

6) Guilt-free selfies.

I HAD to take them. What other option was there? Ask a happy couple to take a solo picture of me in front of some landmark? I might be weird for traveling alone, but I'm not that weird. Embrace the selfie.

Seattle Selfie!

MDP Selfie!

Granted, I am no expert on taking solo trips, having been on only two (...and a half - I spent a day alone in New Orleans in January) so far. I must say, though, based on how much fun I've had with me on those I have taken, I'm considering asking myself to go on another one soon. I'm starting to think things might work out between us. And, who knows - maybe this will inspire one of you to take your first.

No comments:

Post a Comment